Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente



Once upon a time, a girl named September grew very tired indeed of her parents' house, where she washed the same pink-and-yellow teacups and matching gravy boats every day, slept on the same embroidered pillow, and played with the same small and amiable dog. Because she had been born in May, and because she had a mole on her left cheek, and because her feet were very large and ungainly, the Green Wind took pity on her and flew to her window one evening just after her twelfth birthday.

-The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making 

I'm ridiculously, ridiculously behind on posting, and with NaNoWriMo on the horizon, I figured I ought to put up something sooner rather than later. The next few posts are going to be pretty bare bones, though. I mostly enjoyed The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making--although, whew, that title. I appreciate that sort of thing to some extent, but I couldn't make up my mind about the more twee elements of the book. It was a classic fairy tale, and clever, and hit all the beats it needed to, but I couldn't help but feel it was lacking in heart. Like it was an exercise in creating a fairy tale more than a genuine fairy tale. That being said, for whatever reason I found the story of the key enormously affecting. Wouldn't be opposed to reading more by this author, but I wouldn't necessarily seek it out either.

Up next: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

No comments:

Post a Comment