Monday, October 12, 2009

Roger Ebert: "Books do furnish a life"

Roger Ebert is one of my favorite film critics. I remember being 10 or 11, coming home from my early Saturday morning horseback riding lesson and flipping on Siskel and Ebert. A few years later, I got an a 1987 edition of his movie yearbook from Goodwill. I used to skim through the reviews, mostly of movies I'd never seen or sometimes even heard of, particularly looking for the no-star reviews. Ebert really excels in his skewering of the worst: his review of North is a great example. I often disagree with him, but I love the way he writes.

Ebert is also a lover of books. His recent blog post on his book collection is great. He has 3000 or 4000 books, he estimates. Amazing. Suddenly, even with the boxes of books I have at my parents' house, I feel like a minimalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment