Tuesday, August 25, 2009

President Obama's Summer Reading

I've decided to bring out the big guns in recommendation, y'all: Barack Obama. Summer reading list (via Slate). Let's do this.

1. The Way Home by George Pelecanos
2. Lush Life by Richard Price
3. Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman
4. John Adams by David McCullough
5. Plainsong by Kent Haruf

My thoughts: First, I have actually read two of these books! I mean, I don't really remember Plainsong at all, so maybe that doesn't count. But if the President and I ever had to make small talk (because that seems pretty likely), we could totally chat about John Adams. Slate seems to think that he will be dropping Adams references in the months to come. I, for one, love this idea.

Onto the ones I haven't read: I'm sure Hot, Flat, and Crowded is very well written, terribly informative, etc. It sounds like miserable summer reading, though. I'm much more on board with the Price and Pelecanos, both of whom wrote for The Wire. I think it's pretty safe to say that they've got a handle on the urban crime story. I read The Night Gardener by Pelecanos because of the Wire connection and found it pretty engaging, although crime still isn't really my genre of choice.

I wonder if anyone kept tabs on what the First Lady brought. Fingers crossed for Sookie Stackhouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment