Sunday, August 2, 2009

100 Best Beach Books from NPR

It's amazing how quickly summer is flying by. If you're still looking for a beach read: well, a) I'm jealous, but b) NPR is back with more ideas, ranging from classics to Oprah picks (and at least one, East of Eden, which is both).

Audience Picks: 100 Best Beach Books Ever


I've read 43, I believe (I can't recall if I've read Cat's Cradle, so that's going down as a "no"). May I make some suggestions?

-Old Man in the Sea is not a beach read. Just because it has sea in the title, it doesn't make it so.
-I read She's Come Undone in high school. I thought it was wildly depressing. Not exactly what I'm looking for at the beach.
-Twilight only if you're massively desperate. Really.

Of the list, I think my top five to take to the beach would be Bridget Jones's Diary, The Princess Bride, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, One for the Money, and Dracula. I don't know about you, but I get sleepy and relaxed at the beach. I need something that's not too think-y. (Dracula slides by because it's pretty engrossing). I mean, I could barely follow Lolita as it was. Honestly, people.

Bleak House update: About 300 more pages to go. So many things are on the verge of coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment