Monday, February 21, 2011

A Trace of Smoke by Rebecca Cantrell


My eyes darted to the words under the photograph that had called to me. Fished from the water by a sightseeing boat the morning of Saturday, May 30, 1931--the day before yesterday. Apparent cause of death: stab wound to the heart. Under distinguishing characteristics they listed a heart-shaped tattoo on his lower back that said "Father." No identification present.

I needed none. I knew the face as well as my own, or my sister Ursula's, with our square jaws and cleft chins. I wore my dark blond hair cut short into a bob, but he wore his long, like our mother, like any woman of a certain age, although he was neither a woman nor of a certain age. He was my baby brother, Ernst.

-A Trace of Smoke 

Hannah Vogel is a reporter operating out of 1931 Berlin. She's seen some terrible things while writing stories about the city's criminal element, but nothing could prepare her for the nasty shock of seeing her brother's face among those cataloged in the police department's Hall of the Unnamed Dead. In some ways, it was unsurprising: Ernst had lived an unconventional, uncompromising life that had put him in contact with some unsavory men. Even so, Hannah is naturally aghast.

Worse still, Hannah can't report her brother's death to anyone. She lent her and Ernst's identity papers to Jewish friends fleeing the country in light of the growing influence of the Nazi party. If Hannah identifies Ernst, she could put her friends in jeopardy. The truth of the matter is simple and frightening: if Hannah wants Ernst's killer to be punished, she's going to have to find him herself.

It's more difficult, and more dangerous, than she possibly could have imagined. Matters are further complicated when a little boy shows up on her doorstep. He claims that Ernst was his father--and Hannah his mother. Hannah takes the boy under her wing and does her best to take care of him in the face of an increasingly menacing threat from persons unknown. 

I had some mixed feelings about this one. Hannah I liked well enough, although she didn't strike me as a terribly distinctive heroine. She was so forward-thinking as to be boring, if that makes sense. When I read historical fiction, it's not because I want to read about people who would react just as modern people would. While I was reading, I couldn't help but think that the story might have been more interesting from the point of view of Hannah's friend Bettina, a policeman's wife, who seemed a more traditional German woman of that era.

The mystery itself held my interest, and I found the milieu interesting. I confess I don't know much about the pre-WWII era in Germany, so I learned a few things. I did find the inclusion of a prominent real-life Nazi as a character to be a bit odd. It's certainly fairly popular to include real people in historical fiction, but it's not the easiest thing to pull off. Again, I can't pretend to have a comprehensive knowledge of the figures of that era, but for some reason it took me out of the story. Sometimes including a real figure only reminds the reader that the rest of the story is made up, making it hard to suspend one's disbelief. I would have preferred that Cantrell had made up a fictional Nazi with a similar background and position of influence. I don't think it would have lessened the impact of this character's role in the story.

All in all, I can't see myself continuing with this series at this point, though I definitely think that this story could appeal to a wide audience--mystery fans, history fans, &c. Not one I feel compelled to spend more time on myself. There are just so many books out there, you know?

Up next: I've already begun  Steve Martin's An Object of Beauty, which is off to a strong start.

No comments:

Post a Comment