Saturday, July 11, 2009

Storytime with Dominic West


Are you sitting comfortably? Dominic West (above center, in a scene from The Wire) would like to read you a story. Well, excerpts from stories - but from Pride and Prejudice and High Fidelity, so none too shabby. Of course, it's set up to promote some coffee I've never heard of.* But still! I think being read to is quite delightful, and all the better if it's Mr. West using his naturally lovely accent (although I found that I grew rather fond of his Baltimore accent as well).

Enjoy here: Carte Noire Readers

Now that I've given myself an opening, it's all I can do to keep from going off on a tangent about The Wire and and my love/disgust (hate is far too strong here) relationship with West's character Jimmy McNulty. I think my endorsement of the show is about as redundant at this point as my earlier praise of John Adams, but for the record: yes, it's extraordinarily well done; West is only one part of a talented ensemble and the writing is unparalleled in television. And, to bring things around to the proper topic, it's based in part on a book! (Homicide, by Wire auteur David Simon, which is as absorbing and troubling as the show.)

Not too bad of a tangent now, was it?

*And yet I strangely feel compelled to buy it now....

No comments:

Post a Comment