Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Recommendation from Conan O'Brien

From the June 5th Entertainment Weekly.

Conan's Must List #10: "My Father's Tears and Other Stories by John Updike - The late John Updike was a better writer than anyone you are reading right now. If you have not read this book (out June 2), read this book, then read everything else by John Updike. If I have not made myself clear, read lots of things by John Updike."

I've never read any Updike - well, I think I read a few pages of Rabbit, Run, then put it down and forgot about it. Whoops. I tend to trust Conan, though. I mean, he did write the "Marge vs. the Monorail*" episode of The Simpsons, after all. Oh, and he went to Harvard as well, so presumably he learned some literary stuff there.


*The episode contains one of my favorite Simpsons exchanges ever:

Marge: [on radio] Homer? Homer!
Homer
: Y'ello?
Marge: Homer, there's a man here who thinks he can help you!
Homer: Batman?
Marge: No, he's a scientist.
Homer: Batman's a scientist?!
Marge: IT'S NOT BATMAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment